Re: fuschia

Coulda been better. I thought it was odd that he/she didn't name a chemical or brand.

On Jul 21, 2008, at 8:27 PM, David Franzman wrote:

Hey thanks Jim, very good information. I don't think I have ever seen a
fuschia miticide though but I'll look.
DF

----- Original Message ----
From:
james singer <islandjim1@comcast.net>
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Sent: Monday,
July 21, 2008 5:15:47 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] fuschia

Found this post by a
person in SoCal on the web:

Sadly I know about this mite all too well. I am a
member of the local
fuchsia society, which manages a large fuchsia bank of
thousands of
different varieties of fuchsia as part of a larger 87-acre
botanic
garden. The garden has been plagued with this mite for several
years
now. The mites lives inside the foliage, specifically in young growth
parts such as new buds or new growth shoots. Saliva from the little
microscopic critters causes distortion followed by deformation of the
plant
parts that eventually will become very severe and overtime will
significantly damage the health of the fuchsia or even kill it all
together.
The mite is HIGHLY infectious, as it is easily spread from
one plant to
another (method of transmission is unclear, although I
suspect hummingbirds
play a role) and the mites are dammed difficult
to eradicate.

I myself have
been battling fuchsia mite for several years with
varying degrees of
success. If fuchsia mite is caught within the first
season of infection and
the plant is sufficiently small enough for you
to be able to spray the
surface of all the leaves, then an insecticide
that works systemically can
kill it if sprayed in 2 or 3 successive
and regular applications. You can
find a suitable insecticide at any
Home Depot or Lowes in the garden center.
Any insecticide that
specifically says it kills fuchsia mite and is a
systemic will do the
trick, but make sure the bottle specifically says it
will "kill
fuchsia mite" and not just simply "kills mites."

If you have
other fuchsia currently not suffering from this problem,
then you do not
want to delay in dealing with it, in fact the other
fuchsia are probably
already infected but the symptoms have not yet
show up. If you do decide to
spray then make sure you wear adequate
protection as recommended on the
label and spray all other fuchsia
according to the application directions as
well as the infected plant
in case they too are infected. One last and very
important note: MAKE
SURE YOUR FUCHIAS ARE WELL WATERED AND ALL LEAF
SURFACES ARE DRY
BEFORE APPLYING. DO NOT SPRAY THE SOIL SURROUNDING THE
PLANT, AS THAT
WILL KILL THE ROOTS. TRY NOT TO ALLOW TOO MUCH SPRAY TO DRIP
FROM THE
FOLIAGE TO THE SOIL SO THE ROOTS WILL NOT BE DAMAGED. DO NOT WATER
THE
FUCHSIA UNTIL THE INSECTICIDE HAS HAD A CHANCE TO DRY ON THE SURRFACE
OF THE LEAFS. ONLY APPLY WHEN TEMPURATES ARE MILD.

Good luck

Hope it helps.