Re: Variegated lady palm

I talked to a guy who had them for sale at the Selby Botanical Garden plant sale. He said he imported them from Thailand and that they grew very slowly--less than half the rate of the green one--owing to their variegation. At the time, I had a friend living in Bangkok; I asked him to see if he could find any and we'd make a few dollars importing them. He looked, but couldn't find any. So the nurseryman was probably importing them from Japan and just told me Thailand to throw me off. When he said Thailand, I thought it was odd because Thailand is probably the most difficult country in the world to export plant material from.

On Jul 23, 2008, at 1:23 AM, andreah wrote:

we could go in together, let it grow for a while and then divide it. LOL!!!!

Seriously, I bought a "regular" smallish one at Hyam's in Charleston, for $25.00-I think it was in an 8 inch pot and now I have three from that one. I don't know why they say they're such slow growers. Mine haven't been. Not super fast, but not slow either.

----- Original Message ----- From: "james singer" <islandjim1@comcast.net >
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2008 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Variegated lady palm

Holy smokes! Didn't realize there were that many. The ones I saw were stunning--and about that price. As I recall, $75.00 for a 6- inch pot.

On Jul 22, 2008, at 7:13 PM, andreah wrote:

http://www.asiaticanursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.viewCategory/catID
/61/index.htm

Holy COW! Guess I'll be waiting on one of these.

Island Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'