From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 3:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Manual irrigation

do you have electricity near there? I use a utility pump/sump pump to
drain water from the bottom of my ponds. They have a hose connection at
the outlet, so you can water where ever the hose reaches too. I
basically do my water changes that way and use the pond water for my
plants and those pumps will suck it down to an 1/8 inch. Bought the pump
cheap at Menards.

  Donna

"Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/SCSRT"
<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
  I thought of something I wanted to explore. I would like to figure out
how to use the old water from our sheep and horse pens into the
vegetable garden. We have a big rubber trough in the sheep pen, it is
within 15 feet of where the garden starts, it holds...I dunno...100
gallons? About once a week in the winter and once every couple days in
the summer we dump it out, scrub it, and refill it. The horses drink out
of heavy-duty rubber garbage cans, not sure how much they hold, but they
are farther away from the garden, maybe 50 ft, and there's a couple
fences in between. Again we dump them out and scrub them regularly so
between all the troughs there might be 100 gallons of water every few
days I could use. But I don't know how to transport it. I can't just
set up a simple siphon hose, the elevations aren't in my favor.
Suggestions?

Cyndi