From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:38 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Manual irrigation

A few. May require you to rethink what you know and fear about moving

When last I lived in California there was a chain of micro-irrigation
supplies/stores called "Drip" something [I think, but I forget] in the
central valley. They may be long since gone, but their premise was so
basic that I'm sure someone has picked up the torch if they are,
indeed, gone. Peaceful Valley, for example, has lots of the same stuff
in the irrigation section of its catalog.

Most of the irrigation systems centered on using 5/8-inch-OD plastic
tubing [100 feet costs about $10 at Lowe's or HD; and it's UV
resistant, so it [like John Prine's illegal smile] lasts a long while]
and fittings to connect that tubing to itself, hose bibs, or PVC pipe--
so the possibilities are limitless almost and low cost. There are many
pumps that can be inserted in these systems--some require hard wiring,
others hand cranking, some are designed to be turned by an electric
drill. What is important to keep in mind when thinking about a pump of
any kind is it's going to be moving waste water, so an adequate
filtration/flushing device is also necessary.

On Jul 24, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CG/
SCSRT wrote:

> I thought of something I wanted to explore.  I would like to figure
> out
> how to use the old water from our sheep and horse pens into the
> vegetable garden.  We have a big rubber trough in the sheep pen, it is
> within 15 feet of where the garden starts, it holds...I dunno...100
> gallons?  About once a week in the winter and once every couple days
> in
> the summer we dump it out, scrub it, and refill it. The horses drink
> out
> of heavy-duty rubber garbage cans, not sure how much they hold, but
> they
> are farther away from the garden, maybe 50 ft, and there's a couple
> fences in between.  Again we dump them out and scrub them regularly so
> between all the troughs there might be 100 gallons of water every few
> days I could use.  But I don't know how to transport it. I can't just
> set up a simple siphon hose, the elevations aren't in my favor.
> Suggestions?
> Cyndi

Island Jim
Willamette Valley