Re: tomato disease

  • Subject: Re: tomato disease
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 18:04:37 -0500

Auralie, I am sorry for "scolding" you, but that was not my intention. I try to show different points of view when I write. I try to suggest alternative ideas and include reasons why they might be employed. Although I do notice that I sometimes take a negative approach to many things in life, I usually try to take the half FULL glass approach when it comes to gardening. It is my refuge, so when adverse conditions arise, I look for a silver lining. I enjoy any bit of wildlife that enters my sanctum, even when they cause me trouble, because I know they have few other places to turn. I do know you have a much more difficult wildlife situation than I do, but it sounds similar to what Marge endured, and she found ways to live with it and lift her spirits. Rather than scolding you, I wanted to help you look at things the way she did.

Regardless of my intentions, it is clear that I've offended you and I do apologize for that.

I have a lot of chippies myself this year but Seamus seems to be helping with that; I find a chipmunk tail here and there every once in awhile. The tail must have less flavor than the rest of it. But still I have certain areas that they destroy. The main spot is in a raised bed that is built up with rocks. I kept plugging the holes with soil, mulch, rocks, but they'd always find a way through it or around it. A few weeks ago I found the cure. Scoopable litter patties. I scooped the round moistened pattie of litter from the pan, dropped it into a baggie and went out to that spot. Turned the bag inside out, plopping the pattie over the hole. I nudged another into the rock entryway. The chippies haven't gone near that bed ever since. I froze a pattie to take to a friend to try as she has a terrible time with them. If it works for her, I may have to start up a little side business. Although I'm not sure if I can get my guys to increase production by much.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5