Re: tomato disease

  • Subject: Re: tomato disease
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 13:06:12 -0500

When I moved here there was a largish overgrown vegetable bed packed thickly and about 4 feet high with various weeds, much of it Canada thistle and bindweed - two very difficult weeds to irradicate. I solarized it. Luckily it was an out of the ordinary (for neIN) clear-sky hot summer. It pretty much did the trick. Any hangers on - mainly around the edges - I did what you are doing, just kept pulling. They eventually ran out of any stored energy they had. Took a couple of years of pulling, but they were gone. Only recently anm I seeing a resergece of bindweed. It's new stuff coming from next door. That stuff can really travel. Pulling works, but you have to stay vigilent. If it get long enough, it is able to create and store new energy rather than expending stored energy.

Solarization is an excellent method if you have the time and the right conditions.

neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: <holmesbm@usit.net>