Re: compost leaf mold as mulch

  • Subject: Re: compost leaf mold as mulch
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:24:19 -0500

This batch of leaves that I brought home 2 yrs ago from a large property a mile from my house (they have since cut down every tree!) doesn't seem to have weed seeds. A friend brought me his leaves last yr and I stocked them in a different spot. I ended up getting rid of them this spring- they were loaded with seeds. The only seeds I've come across on the older pile are maple seedlings from samaras that fell on it and germinated.

I'm still thinking about applying mulch, but for now just watching to see how the compost alone does. It does seem to crust a bit, but not impenetrably. Water goes through it; doesn't run off. Besides, at the moment I am out of the free mulch and the pine mulch. May have to pick up a few bags.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: <holmesbm@usit.net>