What's wrong with my zucchini?

  • Subject: What's wrong with my zucchini?
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:32:57 -0700

Any of you master gardeners out there? My zucchini started off great, as
zucchinis usually do, but I'm not getting anything now.  There are male
and female flower buds but they are drying up before they open.  On a
couple of plants it almost looks like the new growth is very bunched
together (I'm probably not explaining this well), as though there is not
enough stem between where the leaves and flowers are growing. However
the others look okay. Leaves are green and healthy enough, I noticed
they do have some squash bugs, I planned on spraying this evening.
I thought of heat stress, but I've grown squash for 20 years in this
climate and not had the problem before. Some kind of soil deficiency?