  • Subject: Delphinium
  • From: james singer <inlandjim1@q.com>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:02:12 -0700

Interesting what you can learn by rummaging in old gardening books. At breakfast my sister lamented that she'd never been successful growing delphiniums. So I thought I'd see what Miller had to say way back when. A couple of things popped right out. First, the delphinium is so named because the flower buds, before they open, resemble small dolphins. Second, the common name "larkspur" is a corruption of "louse- wort"; apparently, the dried leaves were ground into a powder that was used to combat body lice.

Inland Jim
Willamette Valley
44.99 N 123.04 W
Elevation 148'