Re: Zzzz

Still not really hot here yet.  It's 82 but with a nice breeze, and that's
the
warmest it has been all month. The first two weeks of July were the
coolest on record.  There has been a lot of rain in the past two weeks,
but it was generally a dry spring.
The combination of unhelpful weather and my general lack of energy
from the Lyme Disease has meant that my garden is in pretty poor
shape. I finally got some beans in after we had some men come and
dig fencing in below the ground to protect the vegetable garden.  The
peas I planted never came up, nor did the three packets of squash, two
of sunflowers, and two of cucumbers.  I did find piles of seed hulls on
the ground around the chipmunk holes, so I'm pretty sure I know why.
Chipmunks have pretty much destroyed a lot of my container garden, too.
Seeds I had started indoors in peat pots or plugs were broken off or
pulled up when I put them out.  And though I have spent a fortune on
deer repellent sprays, certain things have been eaten.  I have one rather
large bed of Japanese anemones that have been completely topped even
though they had been sprayed regularly.  In other words, I don't have
much encouraging news to report.
I must say that the early shrubs and the peonies bloomed very well -
even better than usual - but the past six weeks or so have been pretty
much a disaster.
I do have one row of beans that have begun to produce - French filet
beans - very nice. And onions are doing pretty well.  But that's about it.
Sorry,
Auralie

In a message dated 7/25/2009 2:06:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,