Re: More pet product recall
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: More pet product recall
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 13:33:21 -0400

Small market for specialty food, so they can.

The main thing with making cat food is getting enough Taurine into it. It's
fairly easy to supply- available at the health food store and seems to be
quite palatable. When our poor kitten was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, the
vet recommended additional taurine in case he lived long enough to benefit
from it. And if you're feeding your cats chicken, beef and liver instead of
a vegetarian diet, chances of taurine deficiency are slim.

Your vet may have recipes available, as ours does. I asked our vet why he
didn't suggest that first, he said that most people just want to open a can.
Even if he doesn't have recipes available, there are dozens on line.

And remember, when I was a little girl, commercial pet food was just becoming widely available. Before that, animals ate what their people ate, for the most part.