Re: More pet product recall
  • Subject: Re: More pet product recall
  • From: "Daryl" <dp2413@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 16:44:51 -0400

I think that most recipe writers take themselves too seriously. But if a recipe called for a Tablespoon of chicken fat, I'd do what my aunt's Jewish neighbor used to do. After boiling her chicken for soup, she'd let it cool and then skim off the schmaltz (chicken fat). It wasn't real schmaltz, she explained - that's rendered by frying, but it would do for flavoring and it got it out of her chicken soup. She'd keep it in a jar in the fridge. Looked icky, but it was apparently a good sub for cooking, since she was a great cook. Not as good as my Aunt Annette, but good.

Me, I just chopped up the chicken after it was cooked, and threw some of the fat and broth back into it, then added a bunch of brown rice (they needed a lot of filler because they couldn't handle high protein w/their kidneys, but you wouldn't need to add so much) and cooked that until it was sort of mushy. I'd throw in whatever leftover veggies we had. Sometimes that was sweet potato, sometimes carrots, sometimes peas. The dogs loved it, recovered fairly well from the initial poisoning, and did really well on it until near the end, when nothing worked. The vet said that the variety of foods made sure that there would be enough nourishment.

For the short term elimination diet, your vet may say it's ok to feed chicken and brown rice one week, beef and brown rice the week after, add veggies the third, etc. A lot of vets think that it's the additives in commercial food that are the biggest problem with allergies, not the food itself.

A note for cats - many people say that cats can't process the proteins and some other nutrients in grains - that they're obligate carnivores. Of course, that begs the question that they also eat stomach contents of their prey, which are often herbivores.

The vet that helps the feral cat program here had some recipes and ideas about feeding on her website. The site seems to be down at the moment, but I'll check back later.