Re: This and that
  • Subject: Re: This and that
  • From: Pam Evans <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 17:38:34 -0500

excellent idea Kitty.  I used to pour spent cat litter around the perimeter
of my property as it seems to discourage fire ants as well.

> Bleach is a bad idea for the reasons previously stated.
> I have found the best (most successfull as well as environmentally
> friendly) solution is scooped cat litter.
> The cat pees, I scoop the nice round patty, place it over the chipmunk
> hole, and they don't come back.  They'll push out bricks, soil, anything
> else you put in their way, but no pee patties.
> Kitty
> neIN, Zone 5
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "BONNIE_HOLMES" <
> bonnie_holmes@comcast.net>
>>> crossword. For a long time I have gone to The Daily Crossword Index at
>>> _http://puzzles.about.com/library/features/blxwdind.htm_
>>> (http://puzzles.about.com/library/features/blxwdind.htm) I have found
>>> that
>>> sometimes the Saturday puzzle would be a repeat of a previous one, but
>>> this week the whole week's selection have been repeats. Annoying!
>>> On a more garden-related issue, I have been told at a recent garden club
>>> meeting that one person controls moles, woodchucks, and other boring
>>> pests by pouring bleach into the holes. Have any of you heard of this?
>>> Chipmunks are driving me nuts - they have made holes everywhere and
>>> are nibbling everything. I bought a big bottle of Clorox yesterday, and
>>> will
>>> go out and pour it in some holes - see what will happen.
>>> This has been a disastrous garden season for me. I had very modest
>>> success with peas, but early heat put an end to them. Lettuce started
>>> out well. I always mix radish seed with my lettuce seed when I plant
>>> them - thin the lettuce by taking out the radishes as they grow. When
>>> the lettuce got up enough to start taking small ones for "mesclun"
>>> someone,
>>> probably chipmunks because the vegetable garden is fenced, first ate
>>> all the lettuce, leaving the radishes. Next day they took the radishes.
>>> My beans were looking great, and I thought at least they were too big
>>> for the chippies to eat, but someone else, must have been a woodchuck,
>>> got in and in one day finished all the beans, just as they were beginning
>>> to bloom.
>>> Normally I would have pulled out the peas after they finished, and put
>>> Kentucky Wonder beans along the fence, but I was deterred by an extra
>>> heavy work load, combined with the crashed computer. By the time I got
>>> those things sorta under control, the extreme heat made me feel it was
>>> unwise to spend time working in the garden. And now that the beans
>>> have been eaten, I wonder if it's worth the effort. The heat has abated
>>> somewhat - high yesterday was only 91, and today's high is predicted
>>> to be in the upper 80s, but it's drier than ever. I can only haul so much
>>> water, and don't dare run the hose any length of time since we are on a
>>> well. Lots of things are just turning brown, and not just mine - I see it
>>> everywhere. The weather this year has been insane!
>>> Sorry for the long rant - just needed toget it off my chest.
>>> Auralie
>> sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
> 13:36:00

Pam Evans