Clivia
gardenchat@hort.net

Several years ago Jim Singer very generously sent me a start of a gorgeous
yellow Clivia when the ordinary one I had died.  The new one thrived and has
bloomed each year since.  I think I sent Jim a picture a couple of years
ago.
Anyway, I saw in some catalog - can't remember where - an offer of yellow
Clivia seeds at about $10.00 each.  When mine bloomed last year, I did not
cut off the bloom stem since it appeared that the flowers had been
fertilized.
They formed four seed pods, each about half an inch in diameter, and the
stem
has been standing tall all year.  People have asked why I don't cut off the
old stem, but I have been waiting to see what would happen.  The pods have
continued to be hard, shiny green without any signs of ripening or aging.
The
plant has not made any more growth, but it has continued to look healthy.  I
was beginning to wonder if leaving the seed pods on was detrring it's
further
growth, but today I see that there is the beginning of a new flower stem.
Two
of the pods are beginning to look slightly yellow, so maybe they are
beginning
to ripen.  Does anyone have any experience or advice?

The first Clivia I had many years ago was obviously a seedling - I bought
it for
$1.00 at the Boston Flower Show in the '80s.  It was a single blade about
one
inch high, but it grew into a great plant that burst it's pot more than
once and
provided many divisions for friends. I wonder if I will ever get any seeds
from this.  If I do, I'll be glad to share.

Auralie