Re: Advice needed
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: Advice needed
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:40:01 -0400 (EDT)

Barb, these schools are titled Horticulture School for Exhibitors and
Judges.  They are exclusive to the New York State Federation.  The
system came about because it was felt that the National Garden Club
(at that time called National Council of State Garden Clubs) Flower Show
School system for  accrediting National Flower Show Judges was more
focused on Design and judging of flower arrangements, and gave too little
attention to horticulture.  Our system is based on the four seasons, and
each school tries to give information on one major plant or type of plant
of the season, one container-grown plant, one basic horticultural topic
like taxonomy or plant anatomy, one segment on flower-show practice,
and a segment on Protected Plants.There is a written exam and
point-scoring exams for those taking the course for credit. On completion
of four courses and a few other details, one may become a NYS Horticulture
Judge, which is rated with a plant society judge.  Most of the students who
take the course for credit are already National Council Accredited judges
who feel the need for more horticultural expertise.  Others are just those
who want to learn more about showing and growing.
A "competitive class" is any class in a flower show that is judged.

Thanks for you input.  I'll have to think harder about the whole issue.
Auralie

In a message dated 7/30/2011 7:15:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,