Foxgloves, wild?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Foxgloves, wild?
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 17:46:46 -0400 (EDT)

We have just returned from a 10-day trip to Washington State to celebrate
our
60th anniversary and our oldest son's 59th birthday - same date.  It was a
great
trip - a bit strenuous but all went well.  I have been to the Northwest
several
times before but the thing that I was struck by this time was large stands
of
Foxgloves (Digitalis purpurea) along the roadsides.  My daughter-in-law
assured
me they were wild, but I believe they must have been planted by some group
with a beautification program of some sort.  I have done a bit of research,
and
nothing I can find gives them as a native of this continent.  I have grown
them here
for years, but they have never spread to the extent of these.  The stands
were
quite handsome, but I just wonder how they got there.  I never saw them
before.
Does anyone know about these plants?

Auralie