Re: temps/humidity

 Houston covers 8,778 square miles, an area slightly smaller than
Massachusetts but larger than New Jersey.  It ranges from north Houston in the Piney
woods section with sandy acidic soil, cooler temps, zone 8b....to the humid, moist
east, much like Louisiana...... to the drier loamy clay west, no pines, more
alkaline zone 9......to the south that is coastal, so has different soils,
etc. zone 9......then there is the metro area (center) that has different soils
depending on what side of the  bayous one is on.
North of all the bayous is more sandy...south is loamy.

Friends that live in Central, North and East Houston seem to be able to grow
Azaleas, hostas, etc. with ease.  I can't grow one even if I amend the soil,
and add acidity.  Just doesn't like my climate/soil, etc.  But then we in West
and South can  grow things that they can't.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast