Re: zone map

Yup, Pam, there are so many factors involved in whether plants thrive
and what's really interesting is what you point out...just 10 miles
away soil and other conditions can vary so much that your friend
Elaine can grow something that hates your garden.  Heck, you can find
this in one garden...a plant will just not grow in one spot and turns
into a thug in another 50 feet away.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
> From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
>
> That's so true and there are things like soil types and
microclimates
> that would be almost impossible to identify on a large scale. My
friend
> Elaine can grow beautiful hydrangeas just ten miles away in Kaufman
> because she has beautiful sandy loam. They can't handle my clay at
all.
> I'm fixing to get her for her b-day next week her very first
viburnum.
> She always raves about mine (as her husband rolls his eyes) every
time
> she comes over. If mine thrive, hers will do twice as well!! But
that's
> what you learn by doing, no map can anticipate such differences.
And I