Re: Transplanting Lilies

Since lilies never go totally dormant, Cathy, most are dug in the
fall - late, like November, after the foliage has been killed back.
That's why, before growers figured out how to refrigerate them
properly, you never got your lilly bulbs until about Thanksgiving.

That said, I have moved many bulbous type plants in full growth
without losing them.  Key is to get a good rootball and that can be a
bit tricky with lilies as they are known to sprout up out of the
ground nowhere near the bulb....I've sliced many a bulb thinking the
bulb was directly under the stem and it wasn't.

If you can dig a wide enough hole to find the bulbs without slicing
them, and they are not doing well where they are, I'd say dig them
and move them to better quarters.  If done on a cloudy or misty day
and they are well watered in, they probably won't even know they were
moved....always provided you get a big rootball so you don't lose a
lot of roots.

If they are crowded in with other plants, you may need to wait until
fall to find the bulbs.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :