Re: Scorcher

Ugh, Tony...sounds like you've got our weather and we've got yours,
tho' it's slated to get hotter next week here.

I've been enjoying "your" weather no end...the first year since I can
remember when my Dianthus are actually going to have 2nd flush of
bloom!  Peonies that usually open all at the same time, bloom for 2
days and fade in the heat are staggering their bloom for the first
time since planting over 15 years ago....amazing what a real spring
is like.  Usually, we go from winter to summer.  Of course, a lot of
rot going on because it's been raining almost every day - but I am
not complaining about excess water and neither are my plants, who
have lived through 5 years of drought....what's a little rot compared
to nothing to drink? :-)

Don't worry about leaves burning- you can water from above. I have
for years; never had a burned leaf.  Hydrangeas will go limp when it
gets really hot but you'll notice they perk back up as the sun goes
down...nothing to worry about; just keep the soil moist and they will
be just fine.  You will probably find leaf wilting on numerous plants
that prefer it cool...they will recover as I can't imagine this
weather will hold for too long where you are.

I do find that plants like a misting when it gets broiling around
here, but unless your heat wave lasts for a month and you have no
rain at all, they aren't going to suffer any real damage.  You will
probably find that whatever is blooming goes over fast and some
things won't set flower buds above 85F.

Do not envy you - your heat wave is what we get for July and August
as a rule and I loathe it....tough to deal with and esp. for a part
of the country not used to it at all.  Birds and other critters will
lie low when it gets that hot; conserving energy and keeping cool.

Most important is that you keep cool yourself - drink lots of liquids
of you're going to be outside in that heat.  A damp bandanna around
your neck helps, too and wear a hat in the sun!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

> From: Tony/Janice Veca <tjveca@attbi.com>
>
> Hey - We're having a heat  wave here in the NW. 92 Wed., 96 Thurs.
& 100
> today. I've had to try / water my plants from underneath to keep
the leaves
> from burning. The Hydrangeas, though the roots are wet, the leaves
go limp.
> So I keep spraying underneath. I keep fresh water for the birds.
They've