Re: RE: [CHAT guy topics< duct tape

In a message dated 06/07/2003 3:12:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> Auralie, with a gardening husband comes a whole new set of problems.  I
> selfishly like to make the decisions in selecting the plants, design, etc.
> I truly
> appreciate my husbands approach to gardening and that is as he says 'if you
> are happy, I am happy'.  He helps with preparing the ground for a new bed,
> manages the lawn (very well done), handles most of the watering, maintains
> the
> edges of the bed and spreads mulch. He does tend to overwater but I will
> gently
> suggest some plants do not require so much moisture and there are certain
> plants I decide I need to watch more carefully &will water.  Mulching is not
> as I
> would do but I quietly remove the mulch from the iris and move the mulch
> away
> from the crown of the hostas &other plants.  I do all the planting, weeding,
>
> deadheading and pruning.  It works for us!

Ceres, It sounds to me as if you have a wonderful relationship.  Enjoy it.
Since I have been married to this man for nearly 51 years, we obviously share
many things happily, but gardening has never been one of them.  Just the other
day when I was showing a friend around my garden, he declared that when we
moved here 33 years ago he had intended it to be a "low-maintenance" place, and
here he was after all these years and still hadn't achieved his objective.
Well, yes he has, because in his case it is "no-maintenance."  He used to mow the
lawn and could sometimes be moved to dig holes.  Now he says he's too old to d
o that.  Low-maintenance was never my objective. Unfortunately I just want to
grow some of everything.
When I had sons growing up I always had helpers, but now it's up to just me
and sometimes I just can't keep up.  Be very glad you have such a fine
companion.
Auralie