Odd occurrences

About 13 years ago I planted 2 clematis on chain link fence.  This is
just an "arm" of fence; The neighbor's fence t's into mine, but mine
continues a couple feet to it's last post.  The fence runs east to west;
the arm being at the east end, with full southern exposure - nothing in
the way.  I always wanted the vines to grow to the west , continuing on
the fence after the t or at least to head south on the neighbor's fence.
But they always mounded on themselves and, if anything were inclined a
bit to the east.  This year, though, they are traveling west, all on
their own, and a few have even headed south on the neighbor's fence.
Why?  A friend suggested that because it's been so dreary, no sun, they
more readily followed what little light we got as the sun headed west.
But it's not the first dreary spring.  any ideas? Another happy oddity:
Asarum europaeum.  I have a small colony that I thinned out a couple yrs
ago that has thickened right up again.  Have had the plants about 10
years.  This year I am finding seedlings in all the strangest places.
Some are about 15 -20 ft away, but other I've found are a good 50 feet
from the plants.  Is this normal?  I also just found corydalis seedlings
in front of the house when the only plant I had was way out back.   Verrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy
Interesting..... Kitty