Re: now, chores of yesterday

The H.cordata I am actually destroying, as it is alien, and I am a little too close to a natural creek to want to risk it getting established. I know folks who have planted it in their regular garden, and it is pretty well behaved, but in my wet area, it went crazy - my Louisiana iris were in danger of being totally overrun. Am keeping both the others, but if I had it to do over again I would place a root barrier around both. (Don't think you would have to go to the three foot depth that people must with running bamboo, at least for the rose - cord grass is a grass, though, so you might for it - I've only grown it for three years, so I hesitate to say.) Cord grass would be ideal in a wet location where you wanted to retain soil, and could admire its beautiful shape and flowers - where you had the ability to control its spread by mowing. I value the swamp rose for its uniqueness and the wonderful fragrance of its blooms, but I plan to try some drastic pruning...both cane and root!
Cathy