From: "fm4re" <fm4re@swbell.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: [CHAT] PURPLE! My new neutral!
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 20:18:48 -0500

Well I just got in from (sorta) admiring all the effort and plants that I've
planted this spring. What I realized is that I've been using purple as a
neutral for trying to tie together my pinks/blues/lavendars to the sections
with yellows.

Although my initial intent was for the soft pastels and layout of an English
type garden, I live in the zone rarely discussed - The Gardening Twilight
Zone! Here I am in Zone 7 but my trees give me too much shade but my dirt
gives me too much dryness but the sun doesnt shine anywhere for more than 4
hours, etc. . . . (you fill in the blanks). Now I'm happy to get any
blasted plant to grow and bloom or return next year!

I've gone nute on some yellows and almost oranges - coreopsis, columbine,
yarrow, rudebeckia (sp???). But they look pretty good next to my salvia and
heuchera in the shadier parts. Oh yeah, coral bells and columbine are my
new loves! I guess that I never notice columbines until this year. Always
seen them in the book, pictures, etc. but once I saw their alien-like
flowers, I was hooked (no pun intended)! Hmmm maybe I could do a garden as
a tribute to Roswell - flowers and plants that look like the aliens brought
them down . . . must be the Oklahoma heat getting to me . . . I 'm off for
some chocolate ice cream now. Later, Fran, OKC, (Twilight) Zone 7