Re: vacation.....HA!

That's right, Jesse, deer mice is the other name for them I couldn't
think of.  They are cute, but I read that they don't make good pets
when they're adult...don't know if that's true as I really didn't try
to tame the ones I reared as I knew I needed to release them (had 6
cats at the time and had to keep them shut in their aquarium in our
bathroom for safety).  On day, while I was cleaning out the box, one
of them got loose; chased it all over and it disappeared into thin
air.  I was frantic as I was sure it had gotten out somehow and one
of the cats would get it.  Went to take a bath later and found it in
the tub, where it couldn't get out as the sides were too steep and
slippery for it.  Apparently, it had run up a towel hanging on the
edge of the tub and hidden there and thence into the tub...caught it

Really interesting little critters when you have a chance to observe
them.  I used to have one of those traps that they'd go in one side
and couldn't get out but you could release them, in the kitchen as I
am not fond of them in there.  Used to take them outside and let them
go; am sure they came right back in.  Fed them oatmeal as I recall.
Very cute to see them hold one flake of oatmeal in their paws and
munch it.  They also were fond of peanut butter...and, of course,
birdseed.  After a while, they'd end up springing the traps - went
through several of them before currant cat, who is a mighty hunter
and no mouse has a chance if it shows it's whiskers, so I don't have
a kitchen mouse issue anymore......sorta miss them:-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :

> From: Jesse Bell <jesserenebell@hotmail.com>
> I agree Marge...I think they're cute too...around here they call
them "deer
> mice" because of the fawn color and big, big black eyes.  I've
> several in my house and we kept them over the winter cause there
was no
> place for them to go in the ice (we had three months of solid ice).
 I have
> a cockatiel and I fed the mice the same bird food and Cheerios.
They loved
> it.   When spring came, I released them.  I was sad.  They are so
darn cute.