Re: uses --Feverfew?

Tony,
You're right, my mistake.  I confused pyrethrin with pyrethrum.  I believe
Pyrethrum comes from the Painted Daisies of Africa, but Feverfew contains
pyrethrin.  Most discussions of feverfew deal with its medicinal value
which is in its chemical, Parthenolide, which helps with migraines.  But I
did find this when I looked a bit deeper:
"Feverfew gives off an odor which bees steer away from due to a suspected
pyrethrin content, a known insecticide."  and... "Other uses for feverfew
relate to the pyrethrin and volatile oil in the plant. Pyrethrin is widely
used as a natural insect repellent."
While I'm correcting myself.  Tanacetum coccineum is an old name, too.  I
should have know better.  Feverfew is now Tanacetum parthenium.
Kitty
More for those interested:
Common Names: ~Bride's Button~ ~Featherfew~ ~Featherfoil~ ~Febrifuge Plant~
~Feverfew~ ~Pyrethrum~ ~Wild Chamomile~ ~Altamisa~ ~Amargosa~ ~Bachelor's
Button~ ~Feverfew~ ~Flirtwort~ ~Manzanilla~ ~Featherfew~ ~Featherfoil~
~Wild Chamomile~ ~Mum~ ~Tanacetum~ ~Febrifuge Plant~~Wild Quinine~
~Mutterkraut~

This plant is native to southeastern Europe but is now found in North and
South America.
~Pyrethrum~ is derived from the Greek~ pur~ meaning ~fire,~ in allusion to
the hot taste of the root. According to a legend, this herb saved the life
of a person who fell off the famous temple, the Parthenon, in ancient
Greece. Hence, the name ~parthenium~ according to legend.

Some people say that the name feverfew is a corruption of featherfew,
referring to the plant's petals. Some say that feverfew is effective
against fever and colds if it is gathered with the left hand as the name of
the patient is spoken aloud and without a glance behind. According to
another old superstition, when planted around dwellings it purified the air
and warded off disease. The pungent odor is disliked by bees that branches
of it were carried around to hold the bees at a distance.

The ancient Greeks and Egyptians cherished Feverfew as a valuable remedy
for many ills. The Greek herbalist Dioscorides treated arthritis with this
herb. In 1649, Culpeper recommended feverfew for headaches and to
strengthen women's wombs, Feverfew is a preventive for migraine headaches.

Feverfew keeps bugs and insects away from plants. Some people plant in
their roses or around the garden for pest control. One of the bug killing
properties of feverfew is pyrethrin.