Re: Peppermint/spearmint

In a message dated 06/12/2003 8:10:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
holmesbm@usit.net writes:

> Have you a recipe?  Sounds delicious...especially for summer.
Bonnie, I'm not a recipe person.  I usually just mix things until they seem
right.  I looked for a recipe online and came up with several - one from a
Syrian website that identified Taboule as "crocked wheat salad."  They all
slight differences, so play around with it until you get it the way you like
 The following is from an Indian website.  It does not include cucumbers, but
every other one I saw did, and I think the cucumber adds a lot.  This one has
way too much parsley for my taste, but again, play around with it.
  I just reread this recipe - also, too much olive oil.  The directions make
it sound as if you add the lemon juice to the water drained from the bulgur -
not so.  I guess this is a case of English as second language.  I would use
only the juice from a couple of lemons and 1/4 cup of oil - mix together as in
vinagrette.  Let it stand for an hour or so for the flavors to blend.
 It's a great midsummer dish - keeps well in the refrigerator, is easy to
take on a picnic, goes well with almost anything, and can be made early on a
summer day so you don't have to cook in the heat of the day.

1 cup crushed wheat
6 bunches of parsley
1/2kg Tomatoes
1 bunch fresh mint
Pinch of pepper
2 large onions
1 cup olive oil
Juice of 4 lemons
3 tsp. Salt
Pinch of white pepper

<A HREF="http://www.evesindia.com/writeforeves/sharerecipes.html";>Share your
recipes here</A>

1. Place the crushed wheat in a bowl and pour enough water to
   cover it completely. Let it soak for 15 minutes. Drain the water
    and to it add the lemon juice.

2. Finely chop the mint and the parsley leaves.

3. Chop the tomatoes into small cubes and add the mint, parsley
    and the tomatoes to the crushed wheat.

4. Finely chop the onions and mix the salt, white and black
    pepper. Add to the mixture and mix well. Add the olive oil and
    toss gently.

5. Heap the Taboule in a dish and decorate it with capsicum that
    is cut into rings and lettuce leaves.