Clematis problem

A neighbor has a clematis that is not doing well this year. I went over expecting to see wilt, but I'm sure it isn't that. The vine has leaves that have dried and turned brown from the base to varying heights up the stems...but it has perfectly healthy leaves above the brown ones. It is (obviously) not blooming as well as it did last year, when it was planted. I could see no evidence of insect infestation. Soil was cool and damp, but a grey rock mulch has been used. Location is full sun. Any ideas?