From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Donna
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 8:04 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] buddleia, butterfly bush

Curious about my butterfly bush -buddleia something... (got four, not
sure which one is which anymore, but I think it is black knight).

I usually get out in the spring and prune it down to nothing. First few
years I waited to see if it would come back to life, but always new
branches from the ground up. This year I am running further behind than
usual. I was going to cut the dead branches (? what are they called, not
branches)out of all the new growth. And there is one dead branch and
about 3/4 of the way up is a sprout! So now what! I have an almost dead
limb with one sprout! Looks nutty.

So my question is - finally-  ... should I not have been pruning this
back yearly? Will the rest of the branches come back to life?

Always something.... just when you think you figured it out!:)

IL, Zone 5 where it is raining once again... first time in a week. At
3pm it was 92, then rain storm at 4pm, now 66.....