From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Maria Olshin
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 10:03 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Buddleia

I have had B. davidii "Pink Delight" for three years now, and usually
wait until I see where the new growth is coming from before cutting it
back, usually  to 12"-18". Last year it made 7 feet and the bloom was
spectacular, with hordes of butterflies and sphinx moths (little flying
lobsters). This past winter the temp dropped to -120 and it died to the
ground. It's coming back from the roots, slowly, in clay soil.

Maria NE PA, zone 5b

> WOW, now this is a surprise to me.  I've never had any luck with the
> Buddleias.  Had tried various different types for years and years.
> Had the same
> problems as you, Kitty.....spindly growth, then eventually died.    I
have two
> now
> that do very well, the B. lindleyana, has smaller bloom drupes than
the
> hybrids and suckers;  and B. marrubiifolia (which is a native to Tx.)
with
> round
> yellow blooms.  These two do well.
>
> Just wondering..... I seriously thought that anyone zone 8 or lower
> could probably grow the Buddleia with no problems. That it perhaps was

> a heat problem since I tried various soils.  Wonder what the
> similarities are that we were not
> able to grow it, and what DOES it need to grow??   Anyone grow the
Buddleia