RE: Hum.......

No, it was Purple Loosestrife.  The owner at one place referred to it as
Lythrum. Also I'm quite familiar with it and know that everyone in this
town has been in love with it for years.  It was one of the first plants I
bought after seeing it in landscapes.  Then I ordered cultivars.  Years
later when I found out it's a no-no.  I dug out most of mine but there's
still a bit coming back each year. Even though it is pretty it's not too
hard to part with because it's a JB magnet.
If you do find the name of it's doppleganger, let me know.

Kitty