From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of Aplfgcnys@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2003 8:58 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hum.......

In a message dated 06/21/2003 10:55:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
justme@prairieinet.net writes:

> So what is everyone doing this weekend.... figuring since it is so
> quiet, everyone must be having great weather and busy in the garden....
> or something...

Weather is not great, but good for transplanting and garden work. Went out
the drizzle this morning for a couple of hours - still catching up on all
that didn't get done earlier - but it began to thunder and pour so I came in
cleaned myself up.  Wouldn't you know about ten minutes after I got out  of
the shower, the sun came out. It hasn't stayed out, and more rain is
but it was good to glimpse it even briefly.

Slugs are killing me this year.  Lots of seedlings come up and are eaten off
before they get past the two-leaf stage.  Ones I started indoors and set
outside to harden off were eaten overnight.  I've never seen such a plague
of slugs
in all my many years of gardening.  I won't put out slug bait because of all
the birds and animals around here.  I usually go around early in the morning
with a salt shaker and get all those on the paving stones and driveway -
usually this keeps things pretty well under control, but not this year.  I
have been
told by a local gardener that coffee grounds used as a mulch will control
slugs.  Does anyone have information on this?  How do I use them?  We don't
coffee, so would just the ground coffee right out of the can be sufficient,
of must it be brewed?  Can you just pour coffee around plants?  I'll try
about anything that is safe for other wildlife.  I know, I know, beer in a
dish, but in a garden the size of mine I would have to buy a brewery.

I hope everyone else is having a good start to the summer season.