Re: Clematis problem

Yes, small rocks will retain warmth in sun, but I was thinking of
fairly deep gravel or big rocks:-)  Oddly enough, even the sunnier
parts of my gravel drive stay cool a few inches down, but under big
rocks, it's always cool and moister than the surrounding soil.

Yes, small rocks or gravel will become part of the soil matrix...try
big rocks; you can lift them off to add goodies to the soil when you
want to.

While I am sure landscaping cloth has its good points, it ought to
come with a big red warning label that says ROOTS WILL PENETRATE,
because they will and talk about a mess trying to get it out of
somewhere or get a plant out of a spot that has it under the
soil...yech!  I rue the day I ever used it anywhere but under a path
of mulch and I'm not so sure it does much there...those dang wild
onions just come right up through it.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :