Re: Orchid question

Well, Cathy, I'm certainly no orchid expert, but a quick Google
search found that this is a tender spreading orchid - in its native
habitat, it creeps along the ground.  So, I surmise that what you're
seeing is its attempt to do so; would not be alarmed but you might
want to repot before it gets out the hole and sticks in it so you
can't repot it.  Encourage the errant stem to rise to the surface, if
you can.

This site notes that it likes to crawl out of its pot and make a
large clump (I get a mental picture of something sorta like my rabbit
foot fern)...you might find the page interesting:

http://www.speciesorchids.com/ludisiaDiscolor.html

Here's another page with some info. on growing it from a personal
perspective:

http://members.cox.net/lmlauman/osp/html/ludisia1_1.html

And, here's an article by our former Orchid Editor on
Suite101.com...also has some good info. in it.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/orchid_gardening/30460

Seems like a neat little plant.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net