Re: Hum.......+ slug stuff

> From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>
> I understand that chickens love slugs. Is it a myth that toads eat
> them, too?
----------

As far as I've been able to observe, it is a myth.  Have scads of
toads ranging from nickel size to almost baseball size and have
never, once seen them even look at a slug.  Maybe other species than
I have will eat them, but mine sure don't.

I have seen box turtles eat slugs tho', so I know they will, but they
are shy critters and I have not seen as many in recent years as I
used to.  Think the combination of 5 years of drought and all the
development around here has reduced the population.  Used to have to
stop my car a dozen times a summer to get them out of the road (they
are not fond of car rides).  Would let them go on my property -
headed them toward the creek - they go off in whatever direction you
point them once they come out of their shells.  Used to see them
return to the garden periodically, but not for several years:-(  Am
quite fond of box turtles.  Small box turtle factoid: The males have
red eyes and the females have brown eyes.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade