Re: slugs/toads & frogs

 Actually from what I've learned and seen.... most toads eat slugs, as well
as some frogs, lizards, etc.  I'm not that familiar with the different species
that are native to the various areas of the US other than the southeast, so am
not able to list the species.  Often a typical garden doesn't have enough
toads to "control" the slug problem.....much like a garden having dragonflies
flying around, yet still having some mosquitos.  It's a balance, not a cure.

The best thing is not to import species that are not native to the area, but
to encourage the native species of amphibians into your yard with
watergardens, believe me it works!!!!!!!!!!
We were a bit more addicted to watergardening than any other type for a long
time.....after all, don't need to water a watergarden (smile)  and the water
plants LOVE our weather.  After realizing our obsession and ending up with 14
water gardens of various types, we found that we MORE than have our share of
amphibians of all types that come to our yard to breed, despite there being
bayous, ponds, small lakes, etc. in the vacinity.    I have to say that I don't
have the slug problem that most people complain about, although I do see them.
We do have to watch where we step in the evening and early morning though, as
to not step on a toad or frog on it's way to or from the ponds.

On a personal note, we dont' have any bullfrogs.  We were fortunate to learn
in an amphibian class of a wildscape seminar that the Bullfrog is not native
and has caused much devastation to the native species of not only amphibians,
fish, etc. but also birds.

There is usually a balance of nature......birds eat the baby amphibians, the
fish and turtles will eat some of the tadpoles, etc. etc.  The toads and frogs
help keep the insect population in check.  None of which are completely
depleted from nature....there are always those that survive to carry on the cycle.
Having a totally organic yard, I've come to realize this, despite my wanting
to save all the good and get rid of all the bad.....this just doesn't happen,
there is just a balance that occurs so that none creates a problem.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast