From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@hort.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 3:15 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Hum.......+ slug stuff

I have seen box turtles eat slugs tho', so I know they will, but they
are shy critters and I have not seen as many in recent years as I
used to.  Think the combination of 5 years of drought and all the
development around here has reduced the population.  Used to have to
stop my car a dozen times a summer to get them out of the road (they
are not fond of car rides).  Would let them go on my property -
headed them toward the creek - they go off in whatever direction you
point them once they come out of their shells.  Used to see them
return to the garden periodically, but not for several years:-(  Am
quite fond of box turtles.  Small box turtle factoid: The males have
red eyes and the females have brown eyes.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :