Re: Frit seeds

Kitty, I've germinated some of them.  Seems like various species have
different requirements; some are warm germinators and some need cold
stratification of varying amounts.  Also appears that the fresher the
seed, the more chance you have for successful germination.  For
almost all of them, use a gritty mix; fast draining.  Some want just
cold at about 39F and some want oscillating temps and are best left
outside to ride with the weather once sown.  (I cover flats with
window screening made into an open bottom box a couple of inches
taller than the flat to keep out critters and debris...seems to work
and screen is easy to cut and tack together with fine wire).

Yours is a species I'm not familiar with - would be quite interested
to know what the germination requirements for it are...not easy to
come by.  Check out Tom Clothier's germination database (now archived
on hort.net) plus look at the Ontario Rock Garden germination

There internal linking isn't grand...here's the guide to their
shorthand for requirements:

Good luck!

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade