From:  [mailto: TeichFlora@aol.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:38:01 EDT
Subject: Re: [CHAT] bullfrogs

Did know that the bullfrog is the largest frog in North America....not
sure <br>about it's exact native or naturalized areas, but it is an
introduced species <br>here and out west where it is not native and
causes much harm to the native <br>species, as its behavior is well
explained in your posting.<br><br>Many folks have (introduce) bullfrogs
in their ponds.....the frogs are <br>enjoyable, sociable little critters
until they are large, then everyone of them <br>wants to relocate them
away from their ponds....unfortunately this is usually in <br>the
dated 6/24/2003 11:06:11 PM Central Standard Time,
the bullfrog is not native to your area? Rana <br>> catesbeiana is a
North American native amphibian, at least to the area <br>> east of the
high plains. It is our largest frog, and eats anything it <br>> can get
into its mouth including bab

y birds and (reportedly) bats! We <br>> discovered this to our dismay,
when DH discovered one trapped in the <br>> sieve around the pump for
our pond in late fall. He brought it in and <br>> put it into the
terrarium with our firebellied toads. Needless to say, <br>> it thought
it had died and gone to heaven! After one toad disappeared <br>> and the
others cowered and refused to come out in the open, the <br>> bullfrog
got his own quarters until spring!<br>>

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com