Re: rocks

Anywhere you go in the drier areas of the US, it seems like a standard
landscape technique to use rock for mulch.  Many in non-dry climate zones have made
fun of the landscapes in San Antonio because they will literally take up all
their lawn and put down rock.  So instead of streets of lawn, there are streets
of rock.  Of course there are islands of plants in the rocks, but if one is
not used to it, it can be a funny sight.

I never knew precisely why they used the rock.  Knew it was relatively cheap,
and less maintenance.....but the aspect of collecting the dew, etc. makes a
lot of sense.  After all, that is what occurs in the desert under the boulders,
etc.  Thanks for the insight.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast