Re: rock

Exactly Kitty, that is exactly what it is.....the rock enables the soil to be
well drained, yet at the same time, retain some moisture daily from the dew.

The soil does stay much cooler under mulch of any kind than it does without.
Malcom Beck and Howard Garrett did a study on this some years ago.  Forgot
the exact statistics, but the difference in temp from the mulched soil to the
non-mulched was amazing.  The moisture retention was much greater as well.

zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast