Re: Clematis & Rocks

The gravel in question is quite thin. The best the folks at the University could come up with on the problem was that it was probably a response to some environmental stress that resolved before the plant was killed.
Cathy
On Friday, June 27, 2003, at 01:38 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

Cathy, IMO, the deeper the layer of gravel, the cooler and moister
the soil under it will be - a thin, one inch or less layer of gravel
doesn't do a whole lot; it's better than bare soil but not by much.
A thicker layer of gravel acts like a large rock in keeping
underlying soil cooler - keeping it shaded from the sun.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/topics.cfm/635

----------
From: Pamela J. Evans <gardenqueen@gbronline.com>
I don't know but I use a 2" pea gravel mulch in my herb bed because
it
does NOT hold moisture and it gets warm, but that's what the
xeriscape
stuff (lavender, rosemary, thyme, artemisia and ornamental sage)
loves!
Maybe stone is different?

Wish the Bermuda didn't like it as well, but it's less invasive
there than the regular beds...
From: cathy carpenter <cathyc@rnet.com>

Could be true. Most examples of rock mulch I have seen were
nowhere
near 2" in depth. Guess I'd need to see a controlled study of some
sort.
Cathy