self sowers

Friends,
I was weeding some beds at the display gardens last week.  This bed
contains Heliopsis 'Loraine Sunshine' which has dramatically variegated
leaves.  Almost white with dark green veins.  I planted this there
about 2 years ago and noticed it has self sown.  What surprised me was
that many of the seedlings are coming up with the parent coloring.
There are some plain green ones too, but at least 1/2 have the white
lvs.  I didn't think this trait would be obtained so easily, that we
would've had to take cuttings to propagate.  But this looks to be 50/50
fairly true from seed.  Anyone else experience this with other
variegated plants?

Kitty