id questions

A friend dropped off what she called hen and chicks... (non gardening
friend). I have never seen this before! So what is it really?

And as some know, I am nut case about seeing what shows up in new
soil... all along my mother kept telling me it was a poppy. I kept
looking at the leaves and saying I don't think so... but mother was
right! Strange tho that they are two different flowers. One is a double?
And the other a single of the same variety? Anyone got a real name for
this also? They are striking, I will give them that. I don't do poppies,
so assuming they are developing into seed pods? Do I dry them and in the
fall spread where I would prefer them to grow?

http://illianagardenpond.org/poppydouble.jpg  (In a difficult spot to

And the last question of the night is .... dogwood tree. One appeared
here today. I killed the last one. What do they need to survive in Zone

Where it is currently raining... after I spent all evening watering..
don't trust the weather man anymore!