From: <Aplfgcnys@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Lily Show - OT/ handcrafts

In a message dated 06/27/2003 11:52:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

>   I have probably tried most crafty things but quilting has lasted longer
> than any.  This means I have the equipment for each of the crafts (stained
> glass, wood working, macrame, cake decorating, painting and others)
>   Ceres

Ceres, I haven't tried all of those things - just some.  I did macrame for a
while, and still make hangers for my pots out of clothesline but with
knots.  For a while I caned chairs - did a few rush seats, too, but that's
really hard on the hands.  When the children were small I didn't drive, and
had very little money. I tried all sorts of crafts to keep from going
stir-crazy.  Once I began indexing books - had to create my own business
there - I had
less and less time for crafts, but I still miss making things.  I knitted
longer than anything else because I just love yarns and threads.  There used
to be
a shop near me that had marvelous yarns - they bought up leftover yarns from
manufacturers, still on big spools, and you bought it by the ounce.  They
did a lot of dyeing of yarns with natural dyes.  I could just go nuts with
the marvelous stuff.  But that closed about ten years ago and I haven't
another good source of really interesting threads.
  My grandmother used to be a great quilter.  This was in rural Alabama.
houses in the South had very high ceilings, and were built on stilts off the
ground for air circulation.  In her bedroom, which was huge - probably
- she had a quilting frame suspended from the ceiling which she could let
down with a pulley when she wanted to quilt, and pull it back up out of the
when she was through working.
I have no idea how many quilts she made, but I know she made one for each of
her (then) 27 grandchildren (more were born after she died)  with the
name quilted into the pattern.  Unfortunately, I was supposed to be a boy,
my quilt is a "sunbonnet boy" pattern.  It was unthinkable that the oldest
child of the oldest son of the oldest son would not be a boy - I don't think
ever forgave me.
  Sorry to be so longwinded.  Auralie