From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net]On
Behalf Of fm4re
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2003 6:37 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] native/wild bees- and other good bugs

Great job Theresa!  This is exactly what I would like to accomplish too.  I
know that the neighbors think we're nuts for not minding the yard snakes and
toads.  My husband is the neighborhood snake man - gets called to remove
garter and misc. yard snakes.  Of course we're experiencing more than usual
this summer since the city is doing some "improvement" work on the big creek
that runs through the neighborhood (nearing deadline to use the bond money
or some poolitical move).

While staring my beds this spring, I uncovered about 5 toads slumbering ion
different beds!  Felt so honored that they decided to stay the winter!  The
dogs and cats leave them alone - must not taste too good - but bark up a
storm when spotted!  Also, all the bugs, toads, lizards, etc. make gardening
so much more interesting to kids!  I've gained so much respect from the new
grandkids (especially the boys) since I'm not squeamish about the critters.

Fran, OKC, Zone 7

Oh yeah, now have a new red-eared slider to feed the slugs to!