Re: Spring Gardening

Easy to do, Rich. They'll even root in water, I think. Just remove the blooms and carefully remove the leaves from two or three nodes at the bottom of the cutting, dunk it in Rootone or similar [Schultz's is called TakeRoot] and poke them into damp sand or vermiculite. Keep them in a shady spot, don't let them dry out, don't disturb them for 3 or 4 weeks. They should have roots by then.

On Saturday, June 5, 2004, at 02:43 PM, Richard T. Apking wrote:

As you all can see by the original posting date,I've been thinking this over
for quite a while. Has anyone cut back their Autumn Joy; and if so, what
was the result. I guess I just figured they would be tall and somewhat
floppy in the fall. Also about rooting the cut off portions, is this
difficult? I've never done this, and could (if I decide to do the cutting
back) use some help as to the techniques so the venture is a success.
Thanks, Rich in Z-5
----- Original Message -----
From: <Zemuly@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2004 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Spring Gardening

In a message dated 5/21/2004 8:45:09 PM Central Standard Time,
Chris@widom-assoc.com writes:
plan to try pruning sedum 'Autumn Joy' as well to keep it stocky.

You can easily root your trimmings. I cut mine back every year in late
summer when it gets too leggy. I'm notorious for rooting everything --
for that
reason my beds look like my house! They're a confusion of plants.

I weeded beds at the Ag Experiment Station this morning then stopped by a
great nursery where I bought two Lespedeza thunbergii. I have wanted one
(or
two) for years and their mention in this month's "American Gardener"
sealed the
deal. (Or maybe the 90 degree temp frazzled my brain.) Tomorrow I tackle
the
horror in the beds. Soon I, too, will take pics for display.

zem
zone 7
West TN

zem