From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of james singer
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 5:17 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: chat messages

I've got glaucoma. It's not all that rare among personages of an age I
have grudgingly reached. Even if I skip the drops--which I usually do
on weekends, as well as skipping all the other pills that modify my
heart rate, bowel movements, and general deportment--I don't go blind.
And so far, I've noticed no change in visual acuity. As far as I know,
cloudiness of the cornea equals cataracts, not glaucoma. I've had that,

too. One of the great disadvantages of living in Florida is that the
brightness of the sun advances the formation of cataracts. But lasers
zap them out and ophalmalagists replace the corneas with plastic
implants.

All this brings to mind that Kenneth Fearing wrote a short story for [I

think] the first issue of "Discovery" magazine [which was really a
Bantam paperback book and the same issue published William Styron's
"Long March"] about a society in which humans were having various body
parts replaced with plastic stuff. As I recall, a chic young woman had
the pinky of her left hand replaced with a cigarette lighter.

I can't be the only one old enough to remember Fearing, Discovery, and
this story. Can I? Yeah, maybe. But Styron? Sophie's Choice?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
Zone 10
27.0 N, 82.4 W