Re: Re: chat messages

Not home yet. I finally called her on her cell phone to find out what's going on. She's stuck in a storm generated traffic jam at Tampa International Airport. I reminded her that I was hungry and she needed to get here asap to fix my supper.

On Tuesday, June 8, 2004, at 04:49 AM, james singer wrote:

Comes home today. Of course, if I'd waited until this evening to reply, I probably could have said "Yes" :>)

On Monday, June 7, 2004, at 10:16 PM, "" <gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

Did the short one make it home OK?
Pam Evans
Kemp, TX
zone 8A
----- Original Message -----
From: james singer
Sent: 6/7/2004 5:16:35 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: chat messages

I've got glaucoma. It's not all that rare among personages of an age I
have grudgingly reached. Even if I skip the drops--which I usually do
on weekends, as well as skipping all the other pills that modify my
heart rate, bowel movements, and general deportment--I don't go blind.
And so far, I've noticed no change in visual acuity. As far as I know,
cloudiness of the cornea equals cataracts, not glaucoma. I've had that,
too. One of the great disadvantages of living in Florida is that the
brightness of the sun advances the formation of cataracts. But lasers
zap them out and ophalmalagists replace the corneas with plastic
implants.

All this brings to mind that Kenneth Fearing wrote a short story for [I
think] the first issue of "Discovery" magazine [which was really a
Bantam paperback book and the same issue published William Styron's
"Long March"] about a society in which humans were having various body
parts replaced with plastic stuff. As I recall, a chic young woman had
the pinky of her left hand replaced with a cigarette lighter.

I can't be the only one old enough to remember Fearing, Discovery, and
this story. Can I? Yeah, maybe. But Styron? Sophie's Choice?