Re: Where are you?

In a message dated 06/10/2004 9:52:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
hodgesaa@earthlink.net writes:
Where is everyone tonight?
Just got home from a four-day trip to a state garden club federation board
meeting and "quad-refresher" for the various schools in Geneva, NY.  My dh is
State Chairman for Environmental Schools, and I am State Chairman for the
state's Horticulture Schools program.  Neither of us had any input into this event -
it was totally dominated by the Landscape Design Schools Chm., and we were
not totally happy with the way it was organized - but there were a lot of
interesting things going on, and it was quite an event.  We were herded about to see
 numerous gardens, some of which were quite impressive, and given lectures by
people at the Agricultural experimental station in Geneva that were  quite
interesting.  We were taken to a peony farm to see the harvesting and processing
of peony blooms for the florist trade.  That was quite interesting but I was
unable to see how it really related to horticulture, environment, or, for that
matter, even landscape.  Add to that, after nearly two weeks of temperature
in the 60s, it shot up into the high 90s.  Lots of our people are past the
prime of life, to put it kindly, and many of them have eaten too well for too
long, so  I think we are very fortunate to have avoided a serious problem.

The program ended at 3:00 PM yesterday, but since we would have had a
six-hour drive home, we stayed over in Geneva last night and came home today.
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge is not far from Geneva, so we visited it last
night and again on our way out this morning.  What a contrast  to the hectic
environment of the meeting.  It was just what we needed to help us unwind and get
set for next week's flower show.  Since it was so hot yesterday evening - and
cool and overcast this morning - we didn't see as many birds as we usually do
when we visit there, but we did see numerous Canada goose families with
offspring from tiny fuzzies who couldn't have been more than a day old to big, gawky
teenagers.  There were several families of coots with numerous little ones,
and a couple of
grebe families.  There was a duck family, and some unattached ducks, but I
had not brought my binoculars, not expecting to have time for this side-trip,
and the light was not good, so I can't say what kind of ducks.  We did see black
terns, which are a little unusual in that particular area.

I am distressed to hear of Donna's problems.  She will be in my prayers, and
I hope she will keep touch and let us know how things work out.

Auralie